- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Sift together the cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, and 1 cup of the sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar; beat until very stiff.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, water, and vanilla; add to the dry mixture and beat just until blended. Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the stiff egg white mixture.
- Spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube cake pan and bake for about 35 minutes. Cool in pan. Remove from the pan and top with the glaze of your choice or dust with powdered sugar.